The Gantt Diagram has been around since it was first created in 1910. It is one of the most popular methods of project management and in this article, we will take a look at a Gantt diagram template, Gantt diagram free options and a Gantt diagram example.
A Gantt diagram or chart is a horizontal bar chart used to plan out the work of a project. It was developed in 1917 by Henry Gantt who was an American engineer and social scientist. Versions of the chart are used often in project management today. The Gantt diagram offers a visualisation of the work to be completed as part of a project which allows you and your team to effectively plan, coordinate, and monitor the specific tasks and activities in a project.
Types of gantt diagrams
- Excel: Gantt diagrams can be drawn up on excel and this is the way that a lot of modern companies have been carrying out project planning over the years. Project management software today offers Gantt diagram excel templates that can save you a crucial amount of time, effort and energy when planning your projects. The calendar-like structure will allow you and your team to understand what needs to be done and by when.
- Online: When the Gantt chart was first created in 1910, it was drawn out by hand using nothing more than a pencil and paper. In today’s technologically advanced world, a Gantt schema can be drawn up online. A Gantt diagram online is very useful for a number of reasons such as access to the Gantt diagram by decentralised teams and ease of planning online.
- Templates: Gantt Diagrams are extremely useful for project management and planning. A Gantt diagram template is something that can be reused for project planning if the projects that you and your team are working on tend to have a similar layout. This is fantastic for time and effort saving as by using a Gantt diagram template, there is no need to plan each project from scratch every time.
- Free options: Gantt diagram free options are available in the project management software world and offer you the option to effectively and efficiently plan your projects without having to pay a lot of money for either contracting project management services or paying for complicated software. More detailed and complex projects might require more detailed and complex project Gantt tools which can then be acquired if needed.
- Examples: A Gantt diagram example is a great way for you to see just how effective planning using a Gantt schema is. Let’s say you’re a planning a marketing campaign project, the tasks part of the project may be market research, market segmentation, design, overview and others. A Gantt diagram would allow you to order the tasks across a timeline. A Gantt diagramm with a critical path would further automatically calculate the tasks most critical to project completion by highlighting their interdependencies.
- Excel template: Gantt diagram online templates are available to use and apply to your own projects. These templates are based on other successful projects that have followed a specific coordination of tasks and have reached goals successfully. These templates can often be exported to excel so that you can make the necessary modifications to suit your projects.
In general, Gantt diagrams can bring many benefits to you and your team’s project planning efforts. The templates available can further help to save you time in the process. If you enjoyed this article, leave it a like and comment down below with your favourite part of project planning using a Gantt diagram. 🙂